History records that on June 24, 1604, the feast day of St. John the Baptist, French explorers Samuel de Champlain and Pierre du Gua de Monts arrived at the mouth of what is now the Saint John River, and on that remarkable day they named the majestic river in the saint's honour.
L'histoire nous apprend que, le 24 juin 1604, le jour de la Saint- Jean-Baptiste, les explorateurs français Samuel de Champlain et Pierre du Gua de Monts sont arrivés à l'embouchure d'un cours d'eau majestueux auquel ils ont donné le nom de rivière Saint-Jean en l'honneur du saint.