The origins of the gallery date back to the June 14, 1853 when a Member of the Legislative Assembly, Joseph-Édouard Turcotte, proposed that the Assembly engage the services of the noted Canadian painter Theophile Hamel (1817-1871) to paint the portraits of Speakers dating back to 1792 and to replace a number of portraits of historic figures lost in the burning of the Parliament Building at Montreal in 1849.
Les origines de la galerie remontent au 14 juin 1853, lorsqu’un député de l’Assemblée législative, Joseph-Édouard Turcotte, a proposé que la Chambre fasse appel aux services de Théophile Hamel (1817-1871), peintre canadien de renom, pour peindre le portrait des Présidents depuis 1792 et ainsi remplacer les portraits de personnages historiques perdus lors de l’incendie de l’édifice du Parlement de Montréal, en 1849.